Sep 2003


Minutes of Board Meeting, September 23, 2003

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Judge John Nichols.

Board Members present: Doug Bell, Peter Bell, Bob Fulleman, Anne Greer, Neiff Joseph, Linda MacDonald, Jean McHarg, Burpee Meisner, John Nichols, Gordon Prince, Jim Sewell, Peter West, Gordon Whynacht.

Board Members absent: Harold Adams, Eric Rafuse, Bruce Raymond and Andra White.

Following nominations, it was moved, seconded and passed to accept Executive Committee as follows:
Chair: Judge John Nichols
1st Vice Chair: Jim Sewell
2nd Vice Chair: Burpee Meisner
Treasurer: Jean McHarg
Secretary: Bob Fulleman

Discussion regarding need to file list of Directors for fiscal year 2003-2004.

Moved by Burpee Meisner, seconded by Jean McHarg to adopt minutes of Board meeting of August 18, 2003

Financial Report: Moved, seconded and passed to accept financial report as presented.
Moved (Anne Greer) seconded (Jean McHarg) to give Chris Gill his Champlain Lecture Series funds. Following discussion it was moved (Anne Greer) seconded (Linda MacDonald) and passed to table this motion pending talking to Chris Gill regarding where this money will go. Jean McHarg will talk to Chris Gill.

Behind Beach Parking: Jim Sewell reported that NS Dept of Transportation & Public Works (DOTPW) will begin work in October 2003 for designated parking/no parking behind beach. Approximately 280 posts at $50 each will be placed according to a plan devised by FOCB committee. Discussion ensued regarding the need for some marking to enhance height of posts so that they are visible to snow plows. This can be done after posts are installed.
FOCB is awaiting reimbursement for crib work. John Nichols will contact Paul Sampson to expedite payment.

Membership: Burpee Meisner reported 270 family members renewed to date for fiscal 2003-2004. Outstanding renewals memberships 150-160. Discussion: membership letter to be sent to non-renewing members. Moved (Burpee Meisner), seconded (Linda MacDonald) and passed to send a stamped self-addressed envelope to a selected 50% of this list and an unstamped self addressed envelope to the remaining. Jim Sewell will talk to LaHave Post Office regarding the possibility of doing this mailing as a bulk mailing at a reduced rate.

New Business:
Jean McHarg reported a message from Sharri Bush: Literature from Tourism Nova Scotia states that Crescent Beach is in Petite Riviere. Sharri responded that this is not so. Also, DOTPW has moved the Crescent Beach sign to north of Rissers beach. South Shore Tourisism Association has said they will correct this problem. Letter to be sent by secretary Bob Fulleman to South Shore Tourism thanking them for this correction.

Nita Eisenhauer suggests that the large trash/recycle bins be locked for the winter. Moved (Anne Greer) seconded (Jean McHarg) and passed to do this. Pete West will remove posted signs and signs on bins on October 14, 2003.

Discussion re trash bins at Bush Island boat launch. Secretary Bob Fulleman to send letter to Richard Wilson of the Municipality of Lunenburg Waste Recycling Facility re need for trash bin at Bush Island boat launch ramp.

Discussion re concrete pad for Portable toilets. Bob Fulleman presented quote of $333.50 to install. Moved (Jean McHarg), seconded (Burpee Meisner) and passed that Bruce Raymond will contact DNR for a written commitment from DNR to provide portable toilets every year on a permanent and ongoing basis from May 24 to Labour Day each year, and advising DNR that FOCB wishes to install a concrete slab for support of the Portables.

Secretary Bob Fulleman to send letter of thanks to Pharmasave Bridgewater for their donation of doggie bags.

Discussion regarding how much money we have and how it will probably all be spent between planned projects. Need to determine how much we will receive from DOT for crib work reimbursement so we can plan future projects.

Discussion re the need for an audit due to the increased money we are raising. Laura Barkhouse of Municipality of Lunenburg receives all money and ACOA pays the bills. Jean will discuss need for audit with Laura and Eric Rafuse.

Discussion re need to schedule an extraordinary meeting to update the FOCB constitution and draft a mandate. A date will be set at the next regular Board meeting.

Discussion re establishing the Order of the Star Fish as an appropriate thank you to Chris Gill for his service to our organization. Moved (Gordon Prince) seconded Jean McHarg) and passed that Burpee Meisner, Peter Bell and John Nichols will prepare this for presentation to Chris at a later date.

Discussion: Anne Greer would like to write the Municipality of Lunenburg re FOCB position to leave Cape LaHave Island as is. Anne and Gordon Prince will handle this.

Discussion: Department of Natural Resources to remove the foxes that inhabit the dunes so as to protect the beach birds.

Moved (Doug Bell) seconded (Gordon Whynacht) that letter be sent to Rosalind Penfound of the Department of Natural Resources expressing our concern and requesting information on the fences and gate on Sperry Beach at the Himmelman property. John Nichols agreed to send this letter.

Regular Board meeting date was set for 7:00 p.m. on the 3rd Tuesday of each month. The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 21, 2003. November meeting will be on Tuesday, November 18, 2003.

Meeting adjourned at 9:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Bob Fulleman, Secretary